Service charge is customary charge 10% in hotel or restaurant.
Foreigners who work legally in Taiwan are required to file an income tax return in May each year. The deadline is May 31. For guidelines on how to file taxes as a foreigner, please contact:
For more information please visit Directorate-General of Personnel Administration.
Taiwan uses electric current of 110 volts at 60 cycles, appliances from Europe, Australia or South-East Asia will need an adaptor or transformer. Many buildings have sockets with 220 volts especially for the use of air conditioners.
International Direct Dialing: Chunghwa Telecom
Before entering into highly restricted mountain areas, foreign mountaineers are asked to apply for entrance permits. If necessary, the ROC Mountain Association can arrange an English guide for a group of more than 4 members. But for those mountain areas less restricted, the local police stations are responsible for the issue of B Class entrance permit. The applicants have to provide their personal IDs or passports.
What's the procedure to apply for an entrance permit? The applicant has to submit an application form with the attachment of passport or alien residence permit, ID or any approval documents issued by competent authorities, to the Police Affairs Department, local police stations or the police team in the National Parks. But if the foreign visitor applies for the permit in company with a ROC citizen for a same reason, he can follow the same procedures of the ROC people.
Apply for a Foreigner's Mountain Pass
Where to apply? Foreign Affairs Section of your local police bureau's Application procedure. Fill out one application form Present following materials:
Processing time: Immediate
For further details,please check with National Police Administration at Tel: +886-2-2357-7377
Many Taiwan's local stores do not receive Traveler's Check, therefore travelers who have Traveler's Check, please exchange for NT dollars.
VAT Refund Guidelines for Foreign Travelers
A. Eligible Applicants:
Foreign travelers who enter the R.O.C. with the following documents and stay for no more than 183 days from the date of Arrival:
‧Passport of a country other than the R.O.C.
‧R.O.C. passport without personal ID No. recorded.
‧Exit & Entry permit.
‧Temporary entry permit (Note: only eligible for use in claims made at an international airport or port, not applicable for on-site or designated tax refund service outside of airports or ports).
B. Requirements for VAT Refund:
Foreign travelers, with the entry document, who make purchases of at least NT$2,000 on the same day from the same designated stores with the “Taiwan Tax Refund”-label are eligible to request the “Application Form for VAT Refund.” To claim the refund, they must apply at the port of their departure from the R.O.C. within 90 days following the date of purchase, and they must take the purchased goods out of the country with them.
C. Where to claim your refund:
1. The Tax Refund Service at Airports/port terminals: Tax Refund Service Counters located at the airport/ seaport.
2. On-site Small-amount Tax Refunds: Authorized “Taiwan Tax Refund”-labeled stores.
3. Designated Counter for Tax Refund Service: Designated Counters for Tax Refund Service.
For further details, please visit the E-VAT Refund website.
D. Procedures of Claiming Tax Refunds:
1. Before your luggage check-in, please take your passport and Tax Refund Claim Form to the E-VAT Refund machine or Tax Refund Service Counter, to prove your foreign identity and check the Tax refundable receipts. The Tax refund system will instruct you if the goods need to be examined by the Customs or not.
2. If your goods need to go through the Customs, the machine will print out a checklist. Please visit the customs counter with the following documents and the checklist:
‧The checklist (printed by the E-VAT Refund machine)
‧“Tax Refund Claim Form.”
‧Personal documents (passport, travel documents, entry/exit permits or temporary entry permit.
‧The uniform invoices noted with “tax-refundable goods” or “the last 4 digits of your passport number.”
‧The goods you purchased.
3. Please obtain the receipt “Tax Refund Assessment Certificate for Eligible Goods Purchased by Foreign Travelers” printed out by the machine or given by the Service Counter and go to the designated banks or cash counters located at departure airports/ seaports for your tax refund.
‧E-VAT Refund website
‧Guidelines for Foreign Passengers Claiming VAT Refund
When taking a local tour in Taiwan, foreign visitors are advised to ask if the responsible travel agency hires certified tour guides to provide services in the assigned language. If you discover hiring of an illegal tour guide, please send us the travel itinerary and the service contract provided by the agency, as well as the agency’s name, at the Tourism Bureau’s website: http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/. Find “Contact Us (Director’s Mailbox)” to file a complaint.
Tour Guide License (Front)
Tour Guide License (Back)