information in your note!
This is Tamsui's most prominent monument to foreign involvement in Taiwan. First built in 1629 by the Spanish, Fort San Domingo was intended to aid the imposition of Spanish rule over the local Chinese and aboriginal populations in northern Taiwan.
This fort was captured by the Dutch in 1642 when they drove the Spanish from the island. They replaced the Spanish-built stockade with a fort made of stone. The fort became known as the "Hongmao Castle" (Fort of the Red Heads) in reference to the colorful locks of its Dutch occupants.
In 1867, the British leased the fort and undertook massive renovations, which included the construction of the imposing British Consulate in the eastern section of the fortress compound. Its red brick verandah and red roof tiles complement the color scheme and design of the fort.
Hongmao Castle's position overlooking the mouth of the Tamsui River makes it a particularly attractive scenic spot, especially at sunset.
（Traffic information is subject to change. Please check with the
transportation station before departure.）
Nat'l Hwy 1 → Exit at the Taipei Interchange → Prov. Hwy 2B → Fort San Domingo
1. THSR Taipei Station (or TRA Taipei Station) → MRT Tamsui Station → take the Tamsui Bus (Red 36 or Red 38) to Aletheia University stop; or take Bus No. 837 to Hongmao Castle (Fort San Domingo) stop.
2. THSR Taipei Station (or TRA Taipei Station) → MRT Tamsui Station → take the Zhinan Bus (Red 26 or No. 836) to Hongmao Castle (Fort San Domingo) stop.