Anping Fort

In 1624, Dutch built the first fort in Anping, Taiwan, called "Fort Zeelandia", now known as Anping Fort, where has been the administrative center of the Dutch regime, and the hub for trading. The building was originally constructed in square inner fortress and rectangle outer walls. In 1661, the fort was renamed as Anping to commemorate his home town when Guoxingye (Cheng Cheng-Kung) has driven the Dutch out of Taiwan. Therefore, Fort Zeelandia was also known as "King's Fort" or "Taiwan Fort", nicknamed Anping Fort.

In Kangxi Emperor's regime of Qing Dynasty, Taiwan was included in the empire that the political center was transferred to Tainan City, causing the decline of the Fort. The red bricks of the Fort have been taken for construction of Eternal Fortress. During the Japanese occupation, the Dutch style buildings in inner fortress were completely destroyed. A square red-bricked step platform was constructed with a western style house on the platform, being served as dormitory for Customs officials, where the memorial hall now is located. It was named Anping Fort after Restoration of Taiwan and become an attraction for tourists. The remaining more than 70 meters long south walls of the outer fort with worn-out red bricks, accompanied by the old banyan roots, chanted its odyssey. The fort is the very historical replica over three hundred years.

Travel Information

(Traffic information is subject to change. Please check with the transportation station before departure.)
TEL:
+886-6-226-7348
Address:
No.82, Guosheng Rd., Anping District, Tainan City
Longitude/Latitude:
120.160223/23.001424
Transportation:

Nat'l Hwy 1 → Yongkang Interchange → Prov. Hwy 1 → Zhongyang Rd. → Sec. 1, Zhonghua N. Rd. → Sec. 2, Zhonghua W. Rd. → Anping Rd. → Gubao St. → Guosheng Rd.

Public:

Take the train to Tainan Station → transfer city bus No. 2 to Anping Fort stop.

Share This With a Friend