Jump to main content

Chi Mei Museum

Tainan CityMuseums
Read the following for how to use your keyboard to browse the album:
  • Up: Show photo menu
  • Down: Hide photo menu
  • Left: Last photo
  • Right: Next photo
  • ESC: Leave album
  • Chi Mei Museum
  • Chi Mei Museum
  • Chi Mei Museum
  • Chi Mei Museum

Chi Mei Museum is funded by Chi Mei Corp., a petrochemical company. Chairman Hsu Wen Lung set up Ching Mei Culture Foundation in 1977 and decided to improve public culture. Thus, he established the museum for art exhibition as well as art education. Currently, most paintings in the museum are classical and impressionist. The museum also loans its violins to excellent musicians. Established in 1990, the museum is open to the public and has several exhibition areas, including art, natural history, historic weapons, musical instruments, ancient objects and industrial techniques.

The museum has a collection of European paintings in the 18th and 19th century, presenting the development of western art. The historic weapon exhibition presents weapons from prehistoric time, the Bronze Age, the Iron Age to modern times. The two canons in front of the museum were designed and built in 1689. They were taken away by foreigners in the 19th century until Chi Mei Culture Foundation purchased them in 1994. The museum also collects valuable violins, including 5 Antonio Stradivaris, 2 Guarneri del Gesu, Nicolo Amati, Jacob Stainer, Amati, Rogeri, Joseph Guarneri Filius Andrea, Seraphin, Gagliano and Guadagnini.

Travel Information

(Traffic information is subject to change. Please check with the transportation station before departure.)
Transportation:

Nat'l Hwy 1 → Rende Interchange → Prov. Hwy 86 (west to Tainan) → Prov. Hwy 1 (to downtown Tainan) →  Chi Mei Museum

Public:

Take the train to Bao'an Station, transfer bus Red 3 or bus Red 4 to Tainan Metroplitan Park stop.

Last update time: 2019-03-15

Neighborhood information

Top back