Jump to main content

Useful Travel Info

Service Charge & Tax

Service charge is customary charge 10% in hotel or restaurant.
Foreigners who work legally in Taiwan are required to file an income tax return in May each year. The deadline is May 31. For guidelines on how to file taxes as a foreigner, please contact:

  1. National Taxation Bureau of Taipei
  2. National Taxation Bureau of Kaohsiung


Public Holidays

2024/01/01 Foundation Day of the ROC
2024/02/08-2024/02/14 Lunar New Year (Lunar New Year's Eve; 1st-5rd of the 1st month by lunar calendar)
2024/02/28 Peace Memorial Day
2024/04/04 Tomb Sweeping Day
2024/06/10 Dragon Boat Festival
2024/09/17 Mid-Autumn Festival
2024/10/10 Double Tenth National Day

For more information please visit Directorate-General of Personnel Administration.



Taiwan uses electric current of 110 volts at 60 cycles, appliances from Europe, Australia or South-East Asia will need an adaptor or transformer. Many buildings have sockets with 220 volts especially for the use of air conditioners.

  • Two-hole socket

    Two-hole socket

  • Three-hole socket

    Three-hole socket



*Taiwan's telecommunications industry will shut down the 3G network on June 30, 2024. If you own a mobile phone or SIM card that does not support 4G voice (VoLTE) services, you will be unable to make calls, including emergency numbers 112 110 and 119. Please use the VoLTE-enabled terminal equipment (such as mobile phones), or mobile phone services provided by rental operators at the airport to enhance travel safety.

Information for Foreign Mountaineers

Before entering into highly restricted mountain areas, foreign mountaineers are asked to apply for entrance permits. If necessary, the ROC Mountain Association can arrange an English guide for a group of more than 4 members. But for those mountain areas less restricted, the local police stations are responsible for the issue of B Class entrance permit. The applicants have to provide their personal IDs or passports.

What's the procedure to apply for an entrance permit? The applicant has to submit an application form with the attachment of passport or alien residence permit, ID or any approval documents issued by competent authorities, to the Police Affairs Department, local police stations or the police team in the National Parks. But if the foreign visitor applies for the permit in company with a ROC citizen for a same reason, he can follow the same procedures of the ROC people.

Apply for a Foreigner's Mountain Pass

Where to apply? Foreign Affairs Section of your local police Administration's Application procedure. Fill out one application form Present following materials:

  1. Passport, visa, or alien resident certificate (for inspection)
  2. Certification of reason for entering mountains
  3. Processing fee of NT$10

Processing time: Immediate

For further details, please check with National Police Administration at Tel: +886-2-2357-7377

  1. National Police Agency, Ministry of the Interior
  2. Application of Entrance Permit (Chinese version only)


Business Hours

Government Weekdays
08:30~12:30, 13:30~17:30
Business Weekdays
Department Stores Open almost daily
Shops Open almost everyday except for the Chinese Lunar New Year.
Convenience Stores Open daily, 24 hours a day
(some stores open at 07:00~23:00)
Restaurants Most open daily
Lunch 11:00~14:00
Dinner 17:00~22:00
(afternoon tea at 14:00~17:00)


Traveler's Check

Many Taiwan's local stores do not receive Traveler's Check, therefore travelers who have Traveler's Check, please exchange for NT dollars.


Choose Legal Travel Agency

When taking a local tour in Taiwan, foreign visitors are advised to ask if the responsible travel agency hires certified tour guides to provide services in the assigned language. If you discover hiring of an illegal tour guide, please send us the travel itinerary and the service contract provided by the agency, as well as the agency's name, at the Tourism Administration's website. Find "Contact Us (Director's Mailbox)" to file a complaint.The current valid versions of tour guide licenses are as follows:

  • Tour Guide License (Front)

    Tour Guide License (Front)

  • Tour Guide License (Back)

    Tour Guide License (Back)

  • General Certification Tour Guide License (Front)

    General Certification Tour Guide License (Front)

  • General Certification Tour Guide License (Back)

    General Certification Tour Guide License (Back)

  • Specialty Certification Tour Guide License (Front)

    Specialty Certification Tour Guide License (Front)

  • Specialty Certification Tour Guide License (Back)

    Specialty Certification Tour Guide License (Back)



The Republic of China's unit of currency is the New Taiwan Dollar (NT$), which has five denominations in paper money and five in coins. Paper money comes in NT$2000, NT$1000, NT$500, NT$200, and NT$100 denominations. Coins come in NT$50, NT$20, NT$10, NT$5 and NT$1 denominations.

For different currencies, please visit the Currency Converter at Currency Conversion 1, and Currency Conversion 2.

  • NT$2000NT$2000
  • NT$1000NT$1000
  • NT$500NT$500
  • NT$200NT$200
  • NT$100NT$100

Foreign currencies can be exchanged at government-designated banks and hotels. Receipts are given when currency is exchanged, and must be presented in order to exchange unused NT dollars before departure.

Major credit cards such as American Express, Master Card, Visa, and Diners Club are accepted and traveler's checks may be cashed at foreign-exchange banks, some tourist-oriented businesses, and (by room guests) most international tourist hotels.

※For further information about New Taiwan Dollar notes, please visit the Central Bank of the Republic of China (Taiwan) website.

Banks to Exchange Foreign Currency:

Bank of Taiwan
No. 120, Sec. 1, Chongqing S. Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City
Land Bank of Taiwan
No. 46, Guanqian Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City
Taiwan Cooperative Bank
No. 225, Sec. 2, Chang'an E. Rd., Songshan Dist., Taipei City
First Bank
No. 30, Sec. 1, Chongqing S. Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City
Hua Nan Bank
No. 123, Songren Rd., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City
Chang Hwa Bank
No. 38, Sec. 2, Ziyou Rd., Central Dist., Taichung City
The Shanghai Commercial & Savings Bank, Ltd.
12F.~3F., No. 149, Sec. 2, Minsheng E. Rd., Zhongshan Dist., Taipei City
Taipei Fubon Bank
No. 169, Sec. 4, Ren'ai Rd., Da'an Dist., Taipei City
Cathay United Bank
No. 7, Songren Rd., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City
Mega International Commercial Bank
No. 100, Jilin Rd., Zhongshan Dist., Taipei City
No. 1, Songjhih Rd., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City
Chunghwa Post Co., Ltd.
No. 55, Sec. 2, Jinshan S. Rd., Da'an Dist., Taipei City
SinoPac Bank
No. 36, Sec. 3, Nanjing E. Rd., Zhongshan Dist., Taipei City
E.SUN Bank
No. 117 or No. 115, Sec. 3, Minsheng E. Rd., Songshan Dist., Taipei City

※For more information, please visit the Central Bank of the Republic of China (Taiwan) or Financial Supervisory Commission website.
※Office Hours: (Mon.~Fri.) 09:00~15:30



The rate for domestic express letters are NT$8, and NT$15 for prompt delivery. There is also a domestic super-express mail, which is expensive, but your letter is guaranteed to be delivered anywhere in just a few hours. International express mail service is available.

For further information, please check with Chunghwa Post, or contact the Voice Service Hotline: 0800-700-365


Useful Phone Numbers

Telephone No.
Emergency Numbers (Free Service)-Police 110
Emergency Numbers (Free Service)-Fire, Ambulance 119
Emergency Numbers (Free Service)-Emergency Call (For Bad Cell Phone Reception) 112
Overseas Operator 100
Chinese Local Directory Assistance 104
Chinese Long Distance Directory Assistance 105
English-language Directory Assistance 106
Time 117
Weather 166
Traffic 168
24-Hour Toll-Free Travel Information Hotline 0800-011-765
Information For Foreigners In Taiwan 1990
Travel Service Center, Tourism Administration +886-2-2717-3737
Terminal 1, Tourist Service Center, Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Tourism Administration +886-3-398-2194
Terminal 2, Tourist Service Center, Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Tourism Administration +886-3-398-3341
Tourist Service Center, Kaohsiung International Airport, Tourism Administration +886-7-805-7888
Ministry of Foreign Affairs +886-2-2348-2999
Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA) +886-2-2725-5200
Bureau of Foreign Trade +886-2-2351-0271
Taiwan Visitors Association +886-2-2752-2898
Police Radio Station +886-2-2388-8099



Telephone No.


National Taiwan University Hospital No. 7, Zhongshan S. Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City +886-2-2312-3456
Taipei City Hospital No. 145, Zhengzhou Rd., Datong Dist., Taipei City +886-2-2552-3000
MacKay Memorial Hospital No. 92, Sec. 2, Zhongshan N. Rd., Zhongshan Dist., Taipei City +886-2-2543-3535
Taiwan Adventist Hospital No. 424, Sec. 2, Bade Rd., Songshan Dist., Taipei City +886-2-2771-8151
Taipei Chang Gung Memorial Hospital No. 199, Dunhua N. Rd., Songshan Dist., Taipei City +886-2-2713-5211
Cathay General Hospital No. 280, Sec. 4, Ren'ai Rd., Da'an Dist., Taipei City +886-2-2708-2121
Taipei Veterans General Hospital  No. 201, Sec. 2, Shipai Rd., Beitou Dist., Taipei City +886-2-2871-2121
Far Eastern Memorial Hospital No. 21, Sec. 2, Nanya S. Rd., Banqiao Dist., New Taipei City +886-2-8966-7000
China Medical University Hospital No. 2, Yude Rd., North Dist., Taichung City +886-4-2205-2121
Taichung Veterans General Hospital No. 1650, Sec. 4, Taiwan Blvd., Xitun Dist., Taichung City +886-4-2359-2525
Kaohsiung Medical University Chung-Ho Memorial Hospital No. 100, Ziyou 1st Rd., Sanmin Dist., Kaohsiung City +886-7-312-1101
Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital No. 386, Dazhong 1st Rd., Zuoying Dist., Kaohsiung City +886-7-342-2121
Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital No. 123, Dapi Rd., Niaosong Dist., Kaohsiung City +886-7-731-7123
Hualien Tzu Chi Hospital No. 707, Sec. 3, Zhongyang Rd., Hualien City, Hualien County +886-3-856-1825


Last update time:Jun 03, 2024
What's fun nearby

Last update time:

Regional traffic info
Scenic Spot(s)
More Spots
More Events
More Accommodation
Travel Information
You might be interested in...