Jump to main content

Useful Information


Service Charge & Tax

Service charge is customary charge 10% in hotel or restaurant.
Foreigners who work legally in Taiwan are required to file an income tax return in May each year. The deadline is May 31. For guidelines on how to file taxes as a foreigner, please contact:

  1. Taipei National Tax Administration
  2. Kaohsiung National Tax Administration


Public Holidays

2019/1/1 Foundation Day of the ROC
2019/2/5-7 Lunar New Year's Eve; 1st, 2nd, 3rd of the 1st month by lunar calendar
2019/2/28 Peace Memorial Day
2019/4/5 Tomb Sweeping Day
2019/6/7 Dragon Boat Festival
2019/9/13 Mid-Autumn Festival
2019/10/10 Double Tenth National Day

For more information please visit Directorate-General of Personnel Administration.



Taiwan uses electric current of 110 volts at 60 cycles, appliances from Europe, Australia or South-East Asia will need an adaptor or transformer. Many buildings have sockets with 220 volts especially for the use of air conditioners.



International Direct Dialing: Chunghwa Telecom (Chinese version only)


Information for Foreign Mountaineers

Before entering into highly restricted mountain areas, foreign mountaineers are asked to apply for entrance permits. If necessary, the ROC Mountain Association can arrange an English guide for a group of more than 4 members. But for those mountain areas less restricted, the local police stations are responsible for the issue of B Class entrance permit. The applicants have to provide their personal IDs or passports.

What's the procedure to apply for an entrance permit? The applicant has to submit an application form with the attachment of passport or alien residence permit, ID or any approval documents issued by competent authorities, to the Police Affairs Department, local police stations or the police team in the National Parks. But if the foreign visitor applies for the permit in company with a ROC citizen for a same reason, he can follow the same procedures of the ROC people.

Apply for a Foreigner's Mountain Pass

Where to apply? Foreign Affairs Section of your local police bureau's Application procedure. Fill out one application form Present following materials:

  1. Passport, visa, or alien resident certificate (for inspection)
  2. Certification of reason for entering mountains
  3. Processing fee of NT$10

Processing time: Immediate

For further details,please check with National Police Administration at Tel: +886-2-2357-7377

  1. Application of Entrance Permit (Chinese version only)
  2. National Police Agency, Ministry of The Interior


Business Hours

Government Weekdays
Shops Open almost everyday except for the Chinese Lunar New Year.
Convenience Stores Open daily
24 hours a day
(some stores open at 07:00~23:00)
Restaurants Most open daily
Lunch 11:00~14:00
Dinner 17:00~22:00
(afternoon tea at 14:00~17:00)
Business Weekdays
Department Stores Open almost daily


Traveler's Check

Many Taiwan's local stores do not receive Traveler's Check, therefore travelers who have Traveler's Check, please exchange for NT dollars.


Choose Legal Travel Agency

When taking a local tour in Taiwan, foreign visitors are advised to ask if the responsible travel agency hires certified tour guides to provide services in the assigned language. If you discover hiring of an illegal tour guide, please send us the travel itinerary and the service contract provided by the agency, as well as the agency’s name, at the Tourism Bureau’s website. Find “Contact Us (Director’s Mailbox)” to file a complaint.

  • Tour Guide License (Front)

    Tour Guide License (Front)

  • Tour Guide License (Back)

    Tour Guide License (Back)