Jump to main content

Luoshan Recreation Area

Hualien CountyAccessible Travel
Read the following for how to use your keyboard to browse the album:
  • Up: Show photo menu
  • Down: Hide photo menu
  • Left: Last photo
  • Right: Next photo
  • ESC: Leave album
  • Luoshan Waterfalls
  • Luoshan Pond
  • Overlooking Luoshan Recreation Area
  • Luoshan Recreation Area, Entrance
  • Paddy
Today’s weather
18 °C
Probability of precipitation
Air Quality Index (AQI)
34 Good
No. 39, Donghu, Luoshan Vil., Fuli Township, Hualien County
Luoshan Recreation Area_Links

Accessible Toilets:1

Accessible Parking:2

Wheelchair Rentals:1


The Luoshan Recreation Area is located in Luoshan Village, Fuli Township. The population of this small farming village, located on the Coastal Mountain Range, is 80% Hakka, the remaining 20% being Fukien Taiwanese and Pingpu Aborigines. In light of the abundant natural scenic resources of Luoshan Village, the East Rift Valley National Scenic Area has integrated the recreational resources in this area, making this place into a recreation area.

The Luoshan Waterfalls are the most famous scenic spot of the Luoshan Recreation Area. These waterfalls are located by the upper reaches of the Luozih River, and are the result of faults located along the Coastal Mountain Range. They are about 120 meters in height, and divided into higher and lower levels. With their vast amounts of water, the falls look very imposing. From Provincial Highway No.9, these waterfalls look like a silver chain suspended from the verdant, green cliffs. The terrain of the Coastal Mountain Range surrounding the waterfalls is very steep, and as a result, most of this area still contains undamaged, pristine forests in a natural atmosphere. Thus, as one looks to the east, at the rift valley plain, the simplicity of Luoshan Village's scenic fields make a panoramic view.

Luoshan Mud Volcano, located near to the Luoshan Waterfalls, is an uncommon spectacle of mud and fire sources found together. The local people call the mud volcano "Salt Ground", because the ejected mud not only contains gas, but has a salty smell. The people who lived close to the mud volcano knew early on that the gas ejected from it could be collected and used as fuel for heating water and cooking food. Perhaps they were the first people in the Hualien area to start using "natural gas"!

Because the mud ejected from the volcano has a low alkaline content, and is of a salt matter that is impervious to water, most plants cannot grow in this area. However, amazingly, this kind of environment is very similar to the environment found in swamp areas by the sea. Thus, traces of plants normally found growing by the sea can be found near to the mud volcano. Botanists have discovered various plants in this area, such as Fimbristylis ferruginea, Indian fleabane, panic grass, greater waterwort, and coast leather fern. Of these, the coast leather fern is a very rare fern. It is also the representative plant of the mud volcano terrain area.

Open Hours

24 hours
Visitor Center: 08:30-17:30

Travel Information

(Traffic information is subject to change. Please check with the transportation station before departure.)

Nat’l Hwy 5 → Exit at the Su’ao Interchange → Prov. Hwy 9 → Prov. Hwy 30 →Prov. Hwy 9


Take TRA to Fuli Station and transfer Ubus 1137 to Luoshan stop.

Accessible Transportation

Take TRA to Fuli Station and transfer Ubus 1137 (Please reserve low-floor buses in advance) to Luoshan stop.

Travel Information

Area Information

Last update time: 2023-02-02
Top back
What's fun nearby

Last update time:

Regional traffic info
Scenic Spot(s)
More Spots
More Events
More Accommodation
Travel Information
You might be interested in...