Jump to main content

Yin Hsi East Gate

Hsinchu CityHistoric Sites
Read the following for how to use your keyboard to browse the album:
  • Up: Show photo menu
  • Down: Hide photo menu
  • Left: Last photo
  • Right: Next photo
  • ESC: Leave album
  • Night View of Yin Hsi East Gate
  • Yin Hsi East Gate
  • Aerial view of Yin Hsi East Gate


No.75, Zhongzheng Rd., North District, Hsinchu City
Yin Hsi East Gate_Links


The city of Hsinchu was originally known as Zhuqian. In 1733, a bamboo wall was built around the city under Danshui vice prefect Xu Zhi-Min. In 1826, Zheng Yong-Xi and other members of the local gentry successfully petitioned the Ching emperor for permission to rebuild the wall, work on which began the following year. The new wall was 2,838 meters in circumference, 4.6 meters high and 4.9 meters wide. It had four gates: the Yin Hsi gate in the east, the Yishuang Gate in the west, the Gexun Gate in the south, and the Gongchen Gate in the north. All but the eastern gate were torn down in 1902 to make way for road construction.

Once marking the main entry to Hsinchu, the East Gate sits on a granite base pierced by an arched walkway. On the upper half of the gate is a building originally constructed of wood and later rebuilt in concrete. The building is supported by 24 columns on which sit a double-eaved roof with a short upturned ridge that adds to the power of the design. In front of the gate is a stone stele recounting the history of the construction of the Hsinchu City wall. There is also a public square that joins both traditional and modern elements at the front of this major Hsinchu landmark.

Travel Information

(Traffic information is subject to change. Please check with the transportation station before departure.)

Nat'l Hwy 1 → Exit at the Hsinchu Interchange → Sec. 2, Guangfu Rd. → Minzu Rd. → Dongmen St. → Zhuqian City Yingxi Gate


Take the train to TRA Hsinchu Station and continue by foot along Zhongzheng Rd for 3 minutes.


Area Information

Last update time: 2020-09-08
Top back